Friday, May 16, 2008

Shots for Sawyer

I can't believe that Sawyer is 2 months old already! I took him in for his 2 month check-up! The nurse came to take us back and first thing she said was "boy, he is really filled out for a 2 month old". Then the Doctor came in to look at him and commented "Looks like breastfeeding is going well". I guess they say my baby is fat?! No, but he is growing too fast for me. These are his stats: weight 12lb 10oz, height 23 1/2 inches, that is 75th percentile for his age group.

He also got 3 shots. I give baby shots all the time in the hospital but it still breaks my heart, especially when it is my own baby. They had me hold his hands and another nurse held his legs while two other nurses administered the shots simultaneously. Two in the left and one in the right. Sawyer was not a happy baby, even for awhile after we got home.
See the band-aids on his legs! :(
He was running a low grade fever (which is common after immunizations) and was very grouchy when you touched his legs. I held him for awhile, then Brian took a shift. Brian had him laying on his lap and Sawyer would try to sleep and make these whining/complaining noises. It was so sad! Steven couldn't stand it and knew he could do better. So he took Sawyer and held him tight. It was so cute, and Sawyer did feel better.

As the evening progressed (and a dose of Motrin) Sawyer was feeling better.
In fact by time it was bedtime he want to smile and play.
But eventually he settled down and slept very well.
Another happy ending :)

3 comments:

Ann said...

Oooh, Poor baby. I always hated shot time too. It makes you feel like a meany. When Alan was five. He started to scream and cry before they even poked him. It's tough on baby and Mommy.

Sharon said...

Wow! I am so glad you started a blog.....considering I didn't even know you were expecting a 5th....Congrats! The kids are so big now!
Love the pictures!

Children Health Issues said...

It is important to pay attention to kids’ health, isn’t it? And, parents know best.